Monday, July 14, 2008

Optomap

So normally I wouldn't write about our optometry appointments, but I'm making an exception in this case. Jeff & I are taking advantage of our health insurance, which we're finding out isn't as great as we thought, by making appointments to get our eyes checked, getting new contacts, going to the dentist, going to the dermatologist for my regression into my teenage years (what the heck), etc. before our move.

Anyway, while at the optometrist office we were given the choice of getting our eyes dilated (blurry vision for the rest of the day, no thank you) or getting an Optomap, a high-tech picture of your eyes. Jeff, being his inquiring, informed, money-saving self, declined both after talking with the doctor who said we were young enough and our eyes were probably healthy enough that the procedures were basically unnecessary. I, on the other hand, being my suckered-into-anything self, when offered the choice, said (after inquiring about the price), "A picture of my eye! So cool! Let's do it!" Although if you know me you know I rarely talk in exclamations, except with people I know really well. So it was more like, "Oh, a picture? I'll do that I guess." But inside I was all about the exclamations. I was also concerned that I might have a tumor or something on my eye that would otherwise go undetected. I then felt guilty after Jeff didn't accept either the blurry vision or the cool picture. However, when Jeff saw the picture of my eye he said, "You should put it on the blog." We did meet in anatomy lab, afterall. So it wasn't such a bad choice in the end: I have the peace of mind that I have a healthy eye--we won't mention the fact that my eyes are almost twice as bad as they were 2 years ago--and I get to share my retina with all of you. So here in all its glory is my eyeball. Enjoy.

The yellow spot is my optic nerve and the dark spot to the right is my macula. You can also see my eyelashes at the bottom.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Lynn, I love reading your posts! Seriously, it makes me think of how much we're going to miss you guys when you move away. And I for one am glad that you got the eyeball map so that I could also enjoy its coolness.

Anonymous said...

If an OptoMap image is so valuable and important then why don't all optometrists have OptoMap instruments and just use them for examinations at the same price. Indeed, they routinely visually examine retinas -- isn't that good enough and, if not, then it should be added as standard practice.
Could it be that insurance doesn't cover because its not worth the cost?
Could it be that Optos sells these systems to optometrists for $5k with the pitch that it will pay for itself by upcharging as many patients as possible $39 each?